The major activities of the Water Resources Authority (WRA) include hydrologic data collection, compilation, and analysis; water resources investigation, assessment, and planning; water resources allocation; and environmental monitoring and impact assessment.
- Water resources allocation through licensing of surface and underground water abstractions.
- Licensing of well drilling and altering of wells.
- Assessment of water resources for agricultural and housing developments.
- Selection of solid and hazardous waste disposal sites; cemetery sites and other waste disposal sites.
- Groundwater pollution risk mapping.
- Flood plain mapping.
- Hydrological forecasting.
- Preparation of water management plans to satisfy national development objectives.